Monday, May 25, 2009

Someone told me once that they looked at their post-baby body as an amazing vehicle to bring life to a baby.  That the sags, bulges, and lines were memories of sustaining another life. Or maybe I read it in a magazine.  Anyway, I thought it then, and I think it now: y e a h, r i g h t.  What I'm thinking is, what the heck happened?.  Why does the same number of pounds look so drastically different at 20 than 30?.

Summer is here and this is the first one in 3 years that I haven't been pregnant or nursing.  The swimsuit parameters have definitely changed.  Clearly, the sun has set on the bikini phase.  Buying a swimsuit, pretty much like buying regular clothes, has me totally baffled these days.  If it doesn't have an empire waist or elastic waistband, I am in over my head.  Post-babies, I have lost my sense of style (not that I was an icon before:).  This was confirmed to me last week in Macy's....I was checking out a shirt I thought was so cute, when my hand touched the veiny, wrinkled hand of a geriatric woman...trying to find her size in said shirt. I cannot be trusted.

This, coupled with G's proclamations of "momma, your stomach is squishy!"(children keep you humble, right?) have left me in fear and trembling of the dreaded swimsuit . All this leads me to my question.....

The "swim mini":  a viable option for post-baby 30 something, or totally-dorky-mumu-like swim dress?

and, please no "you look great, gina" comments....just answer the question. happy summer!

11 comments:

Becky K. said...

The swim mini rocks!! I have 3 of them. It is short enough to not look like a mumu yet long enough to hide the "imperfections". You save money too cause you don't need a coverup. At least that is my justification for spending Lands End prices and not going to Target. I promise not to laugh if you don't.

Sara said...

I thought I wrote your post for a second! So funny...well sort of. My swimsuit moment was in January in a Target dressing room when the lady had to check for a L or XL instead of a M. What?! Same pounds as pre-baby? After each baby I have needed a new wardrobe. To answer your question I went with a onepiece with a little skirt attached. The top ties around the neck so makes me feel a little younger. When in doubt-denial works. :) Wish we lived closer for the kids to play!

Unknown said...

Ok so I totally feel you on this one! I purchased my first "swim mini" this year and am not sure how I feel about it. I just avoid toweling down next to teenagers at all cost! Nothing more depressing!

Jessica said...

My opinion - NO swim mini. Do a cute tankini with the bottom being a really small skirt, if you *think* need it. I think the swimsuit is worth spending some extra $$ to get a nice one, that lasts and holds it all in nicely. :)

Aimee D said...

please no mumu! You are way too young (and pretty) for that one!

Amy said...

Honestly, I think they're kinda cute BUT are they practical for actually getting in the water?? The only reason I ask is because I bought this really cute, sporty tankini a few years ago to take on our youth group's camping trip. The top was a patterned, halter style top. And the bottoms were a solid color skirt. I thought it was perfect for wearing it outside of the water, but am always annoyed when I'm in the water because the skirt floats around my waist instead of hanging down where it is supposed to.

Just a thought...

Jill Temple said...

Gina, go with the first picture. The second one is not you! I think the swim mini will be great.

I remember when I finished nursing Conner that I would be so happy to get my body back. It's been 7 months and I'm still wondering where my body is!!!!!

PS -- did you see I updated my blog!!!

tinysprouts.com said...

NO!!!! that tie-dye suit screams MOM BUTT! I think you should go with a swim tank and fold-over short. you'd be total cute!

Meghan said...

G - love the post! I am very concerned b/c I need this swim mini (I didn't even know that was what it was called!) BEFORE baby. YIKES. Is it so sad that when people are commenting on my belly, I don't even know what to say b/c I had it before I was prego? Depressing!

Anonymous said...

That blue suit is horrible!!!! BUT the 1st pic of the red one is adorable and I would totally wear it proudly! I love those little skirts and they are very flattering (much better than the gathered ones that old ladies wear). I have a similar skirt that I work out in :) love, AR

Anonymous said...

BTW they make those things with spandex these days, too! lol Blame every imperfection on your husband as it all happened because he touched you. That way he can't talk you into the swim dress, or worse yet the 'beach birka'. Gina-you know I'm fat. I used to be thin like you and I let one or two pounds bug me and after the freshman weight gain in college I gave up. Don't give up on keeping what you got-ever. You are an even more beautiful Southern Belle than Faith Hill.
-Great Lakes baby cousin looking in on how you four are doing.