Friday, May 6, 2011

On my first Mother's Day, I was pretty excited.  Like most mommas, I was (and am) both proud and reverent and the teeniest bit insecure about the most important job of motherhood.  The morning past without a mention of the holiday....I got up with baby Garrett, we went to church (where they honored mothers), and I came home to cook lunch for Paul's mom....all without a single "happy mothers day" from my husband.  No card.  No gift.  No mention.

I sulked for the afternoon and then got mad as a hornet, because I'm mature like that.  And you know what Paul said when I stated my case?  "Well, I didn't even think about it.  You are not my mom. "  I can't remember the rest of the story, but I'm sure it does not paint me in a favorable light:), so it's probably for the best.

I wouldn't tell this if my husband was a baboon, but he's not.  Actually, it's totally out of character for him--as he's normally fairly sensitive and infinitely generous--and we both laugh about it today.  Well, maybe I laugh more than him...I think he just wishes I would forget it.  Anyway, we've both learned some valuable lessons:  me--don't expect your husband to read your mind, and him--don't say stupid stuff that your wife will bring up until she's too senile to remember.

In the spirit of that, here is what I want for Mothers Day:
1) someone to clean out the stuff in the other half of my closet that has been moved from 3 different        
houses and not worn in the last 5 years.
2) a walk, alone
3) something like this

No comments: